Most of you know Kris and I are heading to Africa in November for a Medical/Humanitarian Mission. We have spent several nights helping prepare the materials that will be needed once we arrive. There is much work in preparing. More than I ever thought possible.
H.A.R.T. and In Our Own Quiet Way are teaming up for this mission. I believe there are about 30 volunteers that will be joining together in Africa for 8 days in Kakamega Kenya.
It has been such a great experience so far just packing. I know that may seem unusual. The first meeting Kris and I attended, it was astonishing the bulk amount of items that people had donated. We put together school educations kits which included backpacks, paper, pencils, erasers, sharpeners etc. There were books to fill the village school library, hygiene kits, clothing, toys and much more. It was difficult to hold back the emotion when you saw all the kindness.
While we were packing, I kept imagining in my head what it might be like give these items to those people who are in such need. I had to stop myself several times from my daydreaming because I could feel the emotion close to the surface. I feel so blessed to be able to be apart all this.
Albert Schweitzer said: "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." Service truly brings you much closer to finding true happiness in your life. It changes your heart and makes you grateful for all you have in your life!
I felt like the packing meeting was such a great humbling experence I couldn't help sharing the next one with my family. I know J.J. wasn't super excited about missing a night out with his friends but I am so grateful he decided to be a part of it. I have the best family and such a great parents. Even though it was hard work I truly believe when we were finished for the night we left feeling much better inside then we did when we came.
1 comment:
What a wonderful thing! You guys are amazing. And that is a special experience to share with your family.
Post a Comment