Nov 30, 2008

Part 2:Kenya

Included are a few more pics and videos ....I took over a thousand, might I add so it is hard to only post a few.



I HaVe HaD So MaNy QuEsTiOnS AsKeD...
that I am answering a few of them here:

1. What Exactly Did I Do in Kenya?
I went to Kakamega, Kenya with a 11 doctors,10 nurses and around 12 humanitarian volunteers. I shuffled my time between the hospital, orphanages, village and schools.

In the hospital...
I spent most my time with the children waiting for surgery. I also handed out supplies to patients, observed handfuls of surgeries and tried to learn ask much as I possible about the health of the Kenyan's and their culture. They are amazing people, so friendly and I made some great friends!









In the orphanages and schools...
I learned about the conditions, needs, children and the everyday struggles. We gave supplies and spent time teaching the kids games, reading to them and just getting to know them. Also helping out with any work/labor that needed to be done. We also were on the receiving end, being blessed to watch musical performances and things they have learned. The children just stole my heart...they are so sweet and want to much to be loved.







2. Where Did I Stay?
We stayed at a Pastoral Center Compound. It was actually quite nice. We all had our own rooms with a bathroom. It was fenced in by a HUGE wall all the way around it and a locked gate with 24 hour guards. It was quite safe. We had a driver that would transport us to our different destinations. (Yes, that is a mosquito net!)


































3.What Did I Eat In Kenya?
Wow, let's just say I wish I would have packed more than just granola bars! My Kris said it would be a great experience to eat like the Kenyans, my stomach didn't agree! Next year I am packing much more!! We had a cook at the compound that made breakfast and dinner. Lunch we were on our own. Breakfast was usually pourage and eggs. Some people really enjoyed the food. I personally had a difficult time. Not to mention you could not drink the water unless it was bottled....and no ice, no refrigeration=warm drinks!





















































4. Why Did I Go?
Kris's brother is the founder of H.A.R.T. , and an AMAZING surgeon who was kind enough to invite me. My Kris has been in previous years and I have always been touched by his stories, pictures and understanding of those who are in need. (Kris did not go to Kenya but we met in Egypt and spent time together there.) Kimball's home is filled with souvenirs of Africa and each one has a touching story. Africa has been the topic of countless conversations since I have met my Mr. Kris. I was so excited to be able to go this year. It was many months of planning, packing supplies, helping and planning fundraisers. It all came together in the end and was an incredible experience.
One that has changed my heart! One that has totally changed my life!

7 comments:

Jana said...

Awesome, Awesome, I get goose bumps just looking at your blog, you are seriously amazing and you still seem exactly the same as when we knew each other!!! :)

Silver said...

You are back!!! That is so amazing you were able to have that experience. I hear great stories from people who go there and serve. What an awesome opportunity. I do miss you! You look great. i will have to come in and say hi!

Cynthia Johnson said...

once again... wow ...i'm so glad you were able to be a part of something so incredibly amazing...

Kami said...

Oh my gosh MiRanda... these pictures are so touching. I can't believe it. Your main photo is just so adorable too! I just want to save them all.

Elaine said...

Hi MiRanda!! It sounds like you had so much fun!!! I LOVE your pictures! It must have been amazing.

Chase and I have a blog too! It's chaseandelaine.blogspot.com
We're fellow bloggers now!!

Ady said...

Wow! MiRanda, I can't believe the experiences you've had. The pics of the children with malformations. It is so great for you & your brother in law and everyone else to be involved in helping those children. You are so wonderful to give of yourself to those children!

Nicole said...

Thanks for answering some of my questions! It is so heartbreaking to see the conditions that those children have to live in. Sure does make me thankful for what I have! Thanks for sharing!