Jan 2, 2009

Team USA...

I know I have been home from Africa for a month now,
but there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about
all the amazing experiences
and incredible people.


Tonight I was going through pictures.....
AGAIN
a HUGE smile crossed my face as I remembered the
5k race!

We organized a 5k race in Kakamega, Kenya
with a little help from the pastor.
We did a 5k fundraiser here in Utah
and thought it would be fun to host one for our friends in Kenya.


We had several runners show up...
most WITHOUT shoes.
They were so excited at the chance to participate.


We pulled into the dirt track to African music blasting
and bright white smiles as they welcomed
"TEAM USA"


Honestly when else can you run for team USA!
When the gun went off at the starting line we little Americans
were literally left in those African's dust....
mind you they were
bare foot!

I ran my guts out trying with all my might so I could come home and say
I had outran a Kenyan...
Well folks, no such luck...
This little American just couldn't move her legs fast enough.
I will say I was the first American across the finish line though!

The 5k was one of my favorite activities.
Running through the smelly street as you past all the people,
I honestly was having to clear my face of my tears.
I have always loved running, and to be able to participate and run in Kenya was just awesome.
I met so many fun people and saw the city from a new perspective.
passing all the people as they sat on the sides of the dirt road to cheered on "team USA"...
so thrilling!


As I continually reflect on Africa
I feel so blessed to have been able to have the experience.


Everyday I feel so blessed and grateful for all I have.
I wonder why I have been blessed to live the life that I do...

Am I truly more happy than they?

They have NOTHING, yet, they seem happy.
Why do I feel like I "need" things of such luxury when others go without?

Would having less, as well as needing less make me a better person?...
As I would appreciate things, take less for granted and focus on that which truly matters?

What can I possibly do to touch them as they have touched me?

"Nothing new can come into your life until you are grateful for what you already have" -Michael Beckwith

4 comments:

emily said...

I love reading about your stories from Africa...they inspire me to live a simple life and give to others more than myself...you are very talented and a wonderful writer! I wish you and mr. Kris a wonderful New Year!!!

Jana said...

Hey awesome, and again, thank you for sharing all your amazing experiences!! You are awesome! :)

Brian and Amelia said...

You continually amaze me. You and your husband are amazing people, and I truly look up to you. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and reminding us all what life really is all about - especially during these tough economic times.

Anna said...

OF COURSE YOU ORGANIZED A 5K!!!! That is awesome! You are amazing! You have done so much good. Thanks for your example! I love the bare feet picture. That was so amazing!