Dec 11, 2009

Jambo...

I wont lie....
I HaVe BeEn LaZy

but finally the log of
KENYA '09

(a beginning at least)



Someone said...
"Africa is.....undefinable.
As soon as you have a definition, your perspective changes.
It is Magical, terrible,
beautiful, unpredictable, exciting, scary and a million other emotions."

I couldn't have put it better myself...


This is sweet Anna.
Burned from dumping a pot of boiling water on herself.

This little guy had the best laugh!
I can still hear his giggling...


Dear new friends from the village "Muranda"
---They all were excited my Mother named me after their village! :)




During out time in Kenya our focus was education...
we gathered small groups of women from the villages and taught small BASIC classes on
burn safety and treatment, young educational helps for children, oral hygiene, personal hygiene, nutrition, oral hydration, breast feeding, natural family planning and CPR.

We set up small rotations in the villages and at the schools we taught grades as a whole.
It was so amazing to see their excitement to learn and grow.
Some of the most basic information such as washing your hands
was amazing and informational to them.

We gave them hygiene supplies and other items to help them
incorporate their new knowledge into their lives.

The women were
so grateful...
so thankful...
so beautiful inside and out...


It WaS mOrE wOrK tHaN I tHoUgHt It WoUlD bE...
EaCh NiGhT wE wErE aLL
ExHaUsTeD
BuT tO sEE ThEiR ExCiTeMeNt & GrAtItUdE mAde It ALL WoRtH iT!


My cute mother in law Jane!

In the schools they wear uniforms & shave the children's hair so that they
all look the same to eliminate discrimination.





The kids excited to use their new toothbrushes....


Women who have gathered for our class



During one class we were teaching I totally lost
focus when I laid eyes on this little beauty...






I honestly wanted to take her home...
and I think she wanted me to take her home as well! lol


Newborn baby only hours old




While in Kenya...
I was so happy to see some of my old friends


As WeLL aS MaKe VeRy DeAr NeW oNeS...

Top of van:
Lauren Faber and Mykah Hansen
Row: Kerrianne Bangerter, Kathy Vinson-Mack, Jane Wiseman, Me, Michele Hansen, Jane Thorpe and Dr. Jeff Thorpe


It was priceless, amazing and I learned the true meaning of

Hahkunna Mata ta...
&


once again I have to say....
I love AFRICA!

6 comments:

Mendel Family said...

Wow, what an amazing experience! I am so glad you got to go down there! I would have wanted to take that little one home as well!

Emily Frame said...

so cool MiRanda!
my dad said some of kimball's people came up to cairo when he was there. he was telling me about some serious corrupt hospital officials. so sad. i am glad you guys go to do so much!

Marcella Deter said...

wow miranda. you are so amazing. i am so impressed. i would love to do something like that one day. i am so proud of you :)

The Archibald's said...

That is an amazing experience. I am so glad that you were able to go and help those people. I am sure they will remember your kindness and all the things you had taught them. Glad that you are home safe and had a great time!

whitney allison said...

There just aren't words. You are so great to go there. I want to go with you some day!

Cynthia Johnson said...

pictures really do say 1,000 words...if not more. thanks for sharing- what an amazing experience!