Jul 28, 2008

We are Spuds


This weekend was the Burley Spudman Triathlon. What a great time we had. The race was a 1.5k mile swim, 25 mile bike ride and a 10k run.
I must brag a little about my great husband. Most of you know that I have had a great fear of the water. It has taken great courage and inner strength for me to face my fear. Kris made sure that he swam next to me the entire time sacrificing his race time. Anytime I had a small wave of panic I would pull my head out the water and find him close to me, telling me, he was there and asking me if I was alright. There is no better person in the world than my Kris. Not only did he check on me the entire swim but once he finished the race he jogged back along the course and came to cheer me to the finish.
It was a great sense of accomplishment to cross the finish line. I know some people think that we are crazy and always ask us "why?". My answer is always "Why not?". Life is about challenges and pushing yourself to be your very best. During the training, you learn discipline and the joy of accomplishment. Best of all, training and completing a challenge with your best friend makes for one great memory and experience that is unforgettable.
I must add my condolences to my dear friend Fairy. Her sweet husband and best friend drowned this weekend at this race. I want her to know that our prayers and thoughts are with her and her family. I had the pleasure of working for Don and have seen his kindness and his big heart first hand. It is sad when someone leaves this life unexpectedly. Please remember the Morehouse family in your prayers!

8 comments:

Kaydi Paxman said...

Congrats! Wish we could've been there with you. maybe next year.

Emily Frame said...

congrats on completing the race. my dad was in Don's group and it is seriously heartbreaking, are you going to the funeral?

Cami said...

Congrats on finishing this race you guys! I love that you are up to try anything. Call me when you are not busy running a marathon, or traveling to Africa, or working....all of the many things my sweet friend MiRanda does!

Brian and Amelia said...

Congratulations on your great accomplishment!!! Kris is the bomb, what a great guy! I'm so glad that you have such a wonderful husband, you deserve it! Our prayers will be with the Morehouses, that is just so sad.

Joni said...

I am sooo impressed. What a fun thing to do together. You've inspired me....

Annie and Peter said...

Congrats! Let us know next time you run a race so he can come. MiRanda you look so hot in your swim cap, I am serious!

Cynthia Johnson said...

hey! i found your blog b/c it's posted on goodreads ;) so...tears welled up as you mentioned how Kris swam by you and then after the race came back to cheer you on...and then i got even more emotional when i found out that you know the man who drowned at the triathalon....so thanks for the tears!!! love the blog. i have one too...i'll send you an invite.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You guys look like models in this picture. Props to both of you. If I can get myself to do just one, I'd be satisfied. =) Miss ya'll lots!